Friday, August 21, 2009

Gifts

Posting his Facebook picture from New Orleans reminded me to post this story...

He went on a volunteer trip through school to New Orleans a week after starting here, and brought back gifts for me and my manager (we'll call him Charles here).

That was quite thoughtful of him, which is why I hestitated to make fun of the gifts, but I figured I'm going to hell anyway so why not. Besides, the gifts are just so weird that I can't help it.

He gave us each ground coffee, saying it was "famous coffee from New Orleans." I looked at the box--it was Gevalia Coffee. Nothing wrong with Gevalia, but it is Scandinavian and sold everywhere. I'm guessing he bought it in a store that happened to be in New Orleans, and thus assumed that meant it was a special local treat.

Oh but it gets better...

I received a bottle of self-tanning cream, along with a pair of latex gloves. I was both creeped out and confused. I have naturally olive-toned skin and tan very easily, but maybe he thought I looked too pale?

I then hoped that he gave Charles the same gift, because it would have been even funnier in his case. (Charles is a fairly dark-skinned African-American) Unfortunately for comedy's sake, he did not. However...

He gave Charles a bottle of Vitamin E supplements, and said, "these are good for your teeth." What does that have to do with New Orleans? Your guess is as good as mine.

(Afterwards, Charles and I did piece together that maybe the intern remembered that Charles had his wisdom teeth pulled. So maybe he assumed that Charles didn't take care of his teeth?? Even with that explanation, it's still weird.)

1 comment: